October 18, 2007

Do I need a Blood Test to get married in California?

No, California did away with the blood test in 1995.

In most California counties certain Notaries Public are authorized to issue Confidential Marriage Licenses for that county only. Unfortunately, this is not generally advertised by the counties.

My wife and I are both Notaries Public - and authorized by the County of Los Angeles to issue Confidential Marriage Licenses for them. The Confidential License is private, "sealed" information and only the bride and groom can ever obtain a certified copy of the document.

I believe California and Hawaii are the only states who have agents such as this to issue licenses for them. The license is the same as the one you would get at the county offices, except it's much more convenient from us -- no lines. I have my credentials from the county of Los Angeles in case you would like to verify this information. Also you could call the LA county recorder at 323/586-6192 and verify this with them. California did away with the blood test in 1995.